AIS Seeking Treasurer
Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Posted by: Brook Pritchett
The position of Treasurer for the Association for Information Systems (AIS) is appointed by the AIS President. The current treasurer Matt Nelson has completed his second term and the position needs reappointment immediately. Therefore, the association is seeking qualified candidates to apply for this important position.
Term of Office: The appointment will begin immediately (as soon as it’s filled) but the official term will be Three years from July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2020.
As outlined in the AIS Bylaws, the position of Treasurer oversees all financial operations of the association including those of all official conferences. The treasurer is a voting member of the Council and also serves on the following committees: Executive, Finance, AMCIS Executive, and ICIS Executive. In cooperation with the Executive Director and the Finance Committee, the treasurer prepares the annual budget, oversees revenue and expenditures, monitors investments, and reviews the outcome of the annual audit. In addition to any responsibilities specified previously, the Treasurer shall Forecast trends in revenues and costs. In consultation with the Finance Committee, the Treasurer will:
- Assess the financial implications of proposed programs, activities, projects, policies, and other practices in the light of the financial resources of AIS;
- Assist the Vice Presidents in understanding the financial implications of planned programs;
- Recommend investment of surplus funds and supervise the investment of such funds;
- Advise the President and the Council regarding an appropriate compensation level for the Executive Director and other Business Office staff; and
Specific duties of this position may be viewed in the Bylaws, Article 6.5 E (http://home.aisnet.org/).
Although this is a volunteer position there are certain monthly, quarterly, and annual duties of which prospective candidates should be aware. These include, but are not limited to:
- Monthly: review financial statement and variance report prepared by AIS staff (1 - 2 hours)
- Quarterly: review investment reports (1 - 2 hours); prepare Treasurer's Report to Council (1- 2 hours); participate in two virtual Council meetings (3 hours each); participate in two face-to-face Council meetings (2 days each; one at ICIS and the second at a location to be determined)
- Annually: review audit report (1 - 2 hours); prepare budget (30 – 40 hours)
As needed: meetings of the AIS Executive Committee (3 - 6 hours); two meetings of AMCIS and ICIS Executive Committees (4 hours each);
Member of AIS. Degree in accounting; CPA certification is ideal.
Interested candidates should submit their name, vitae, and outline of relevant experience to Jason Thatcher, AIS President to the attention Aretha Wright at email@example.com by March 27, 2017. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent immediately. Finalists will be contacted no later than April 7, 2017. A final decision will be made by April 24, 2017. NOTE: The treasurer is expected to attend the AIS Council meeting scheduled for June 11 - 12, 2017 immediately after ECIS in Guimaraes, Portugal. Partial funding is provided for travel costs. Full funding is provided for hotel and group meal costs.